December 30, 2014
If I was able to accomplish 11 out of the 14 things I had planned to do this year, then I have high hopes for 2015. Hence why I've decided to put out another to-do list for the upcoming new year...
1. Whenever people tell me they love a "new" song by an artist, I shall refrain from saying (with snark), "Oh, that song I was listening to 4 months ago?"
2. Visit the Magic Castle.
3. After developing an obsession with Tatsu on Melrose, make sure to consume ramen in moderation.
4. Sign a publishing contract/get a book deal.
5. Take advantage of the recipe book that came with my Magic Bullet. (a gift from Maury Povich - long story...well, not really.)
7. Send more cards or old-fashioned letters to people in the mail.
8. Go to Hawaii. Or Portland. (Unfortunately, I need to use my vacation days wisely in 2015.)
9. Try Fireball. Just once.
10. Write a letter to myself at age of 18 when I turn 35 at the end of March.
11. Feel free to feel vulnerable.
12. Date more.
13. Get nominated for an Emmy. (Ha, that's for sure. Could this just be filler?)
14. Kick ass.
15. Shorten this list for 2016.
Happy New Year, y'all.
December 21, 2014
December 18, 2014
So, this really happened?
My favorite song of 2008, "Black and Gold," was apparently given the acoustic treatment one year later by a pre-Teenage Dream Katy Perry. Before any Sam Sparro purists scream "WTF?" know that this came from her Australian tour EP in 2009. And know that Adele also covered the awesomely mesmerizing pop number.
For those not familiar with the original track, here's a refresher:
December 17, 2014
While it's easy - and understandale - for some people to bitch and moan about 2014 being a crap year, ("I'm done! Bring on 2015!") I can honestly say I loved 2014. I can't remember the last time I was this fond of a year. Maybe 1997? But if you weren't a fan of these last 365 days, then I'm sorry. Trust me, I've been there. There were times I felt like my life was stuck in a cesspool of crap from which I'd never escape, and I would roll my eyes at every shiny-happy year-in-review letter I got from friends and relatives. That said, I don't blame some of you for doing the same when you read the next paragraph...
At the end of 2013 I had wanted 2014 to deliver. And, after looking back on the last 12 months, it certainly did. It began with a winter trip to Vancouver and Whistler. It surprised with a promotion at work. ("That's MR. Manager of Creative Planning, thankyouveddymuch.") It continued with a highly memorable road trip through Chicago, Columbus, Toronto, and Montreal. It delighted with a weekend getaway in Palm Beach with my mother. And then, it wrapped up with some literary representation and dreams of a book deal in the near future. (Three rejection letters from major publishers and happily counting...)
But enough about me.
Let's get to the good stuff, the highlights of the year this pop culture junkie absolutely loved...and highly recommends you check out if you haven't already. (*Click away to see what I enjoyed in 2014.)
MOVIE PICKS OF 2014
Paul Rudd plays Steve Coogan's husband in the upcoming Ideal Home . And that's all you really need to know, am I right? The Au...
When one nostalgically binges on all seven seasons of The Golden Girls like me (I swear I have a life), you pick up on a few things. C...
Ten years ago, a young woman named Felicity Porter graduated from the fictitious University of New York and embarked on a new life with Ben...