You know how Aliens is arguably better than Alien, and T2 totally kicks the original Terminator's ass? Well, that's how I'm feeling about Volume 2 of my little Best Summer Ever series. Who knew the music gods would bestow us with so much music for swimsuit season? The following playlist is just bursting at the seams with enough melodies, beats, and rhythms to make you feel like a schoolboy (or girl) ready for summer vacation all over again...
1. "Cuckoo" by Adam Lambert
2. "Give Your Heart a Break" by Demi Lovato -- Can we please retire "Call Me Maybe" and finally start obsessing over this? I know I have. See and hear for yourself:
3. "Take It All Away" by Owl City -- Five words I thought I'd never write: Easy, breezy, beautiful Owl City.
4. "Sovereign Light Cafe" by Keane -- The boys continue to impress with their latest album. This time, they're firing up the nostalgia machine and going back to their roots with this enchanting single:
5. "I Feel Better" by Gotye -- This is Motown-influenced track is clearly the Before to "Somebody That I Used To Know"'s heartbroken After.
6. "Cameo Lover" by Kimbra
7. "Icarus (Radio Edit)" by Madeon -- My theme song for June. Seriously, if I could produce a TV show about my life (with some action sequences thrown in), I'd use this track for the opening credits.
8. "Hell Yeah" by Midnight Red -- Another chanting boy band with overproduced beats = a playlist requirement.
9. "Hello" by Karmin -- The adorable duo returns with this synth-driven jam. Plus, white girl can give Nicki Minaj a run for her cotton candy wigs.
10. "Is This Love" by Aiden Grimshaw -- Because summer wouldn't be complete without a little dubstep to help you get through those restless, humid nights:
11. "Heartkiller" by Kat Graham
12. "This is Love" by will.i.am feat. Eva Simons -- Eva is clearly the best thing that happens to this dance track, and Mr. i.am should be thankful. Otherwise, it would be one hot mess.
13. "Headphones" by Little Boots
14. "Whistle" by Flo Rida
15. "We'll Be Coming Back" by Calvin Harris feat. Example -- After falling in love with his musical talents back in 2007, I am thrilled to see that DJ-producer-vocalist Harris is finally getting his moment to shine (as seen in his collaborations with Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Scissor Sisters, and Kelis) -- this time with one of my current favorite U.K. artists:
16. "All Around the World" by Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris -- The Biebs channels Chris Brown in this dance floor stomper that clearly has been concocted to appeal to a more global audience (it's only a matter of time before they start playing this down in Ibiza).
17. "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry
18. "Last Graffiti" by Marc Johnce -- This mash-up of Kat Graham's "Put Your Graffiti on Me" and Josh Strickland's "Last Dance" is a spark that'll ignite any Pride party:
19. "Lemonade" by Alexandra Stan
20. "One Last Time" by Agnes
21. "Vegas Girl" by Conor Maynard
22. "Changed The Way You Kissed Me" by Example feat. Ludacris
23. "Goin' In" by Jennifer Lopez feat. Flo Rida
24. "Roots Before Branches" by Lea Michele -- For when you want leave your troubles behind and walk through the streets of a big city while imagining all of the possibilities that await you.
25. "Breath of Life" by Florence and the Machine
Now go turn up the AC and cruise down the boulevard with these on deck. I'll see you later with Volume Tres.